"They made my wife's life miserable." Prince Harry testified at London's High Court in the wiretapping case.

Juliette Morgan
"They made my wife's life miserable." Prince Harry testified at London's High Court in the wiretapping case.

Prince Harry arrived at London's High Court to testify in his case against Associated Newspapers, the publisher of British tabloids The Daily Mail and The Mail on Sunday. In court, he stated that his wife Meghan Markle's "royal" years had been "total torture" for her due to tabloid publications.

"They (the tabloids – Ed.) have made my wife's life a living hell and continue to persecute me," the 41-year-old prince said (quoted by The New York Times). According to eyewitnesses, at this point the prince became emotional and allegedly even seemed close to tears.

During questioning, Harry denied the suggestion that his inner circle could have been the source of the scandalous press reports about him and Markle. "Having lived my whole life in this system... I would never talk about what ended up in those articles," CNN quoted him as saying. He also accused journalists of "inventing quotes to create a particular version of events."

Принц Гарри направляется в Высокий суд Лондона

The defense attorney suggested that Harry could have filed a lawsuit over the articles immediately after their publication, but chose not to. He responded by declaring that he was "not allowed to complain."

Prince Harry has returned from the United States, where he has lived in recent years with his wife and children, to testify in a civil case expected to last nine weeks. His lawsuit concerns 14 articles published in The Daily Mail and The Mail on Sunday, which he claims were the result of illegal information gathering. One of them, published in July 2006 under the headline "May She Rest in Peace," contained details of his "confidential discussions" with his older brother, Prince William, about publishing photos of their mother, Princess Diana, dying after a car accident, in Italian media.

Принц Гарри

Another article published earlier that year revealed details of Harry's relationship with his then-girlfriend, Chelsy Davy, and her attitude toward his joining the British Army. The prince claimed that these details, including his calling Ms. Davy "from a shop, choosing a suit," could only have been obtained through wiretaps. In his written statement, Harry said the article had "severely strained" their relationship and created "paranoia and mistrust."

In a written witness statement filed in court, Harry said he had a "difficult relationship" with the press following the death of his mother, Princess Diana, during a paparazzi pursuit in 1997, but he had "gotten used to accepting" the constant media coverage due to his role in the case. "Every time I got on a plane or in a car, I always expected to be followed," he said, adding that he was "surveilled 24/7."

In the lawsuit, he also claimed the stories he complained about were "part of a never-ending pursuit, a campaign, an obsession to monitor every aspect of his life in order to outpace the competition, to drive him paranoid, to isolate him, and likely to drive him to drugs and alcohol in order to sell more of his newspapers."

Harry is one of seven public figures accusing ANL of allegedly illegally collecting information through methods such as using private investigators to intercept voicemails, wiretapping, and "tricking" them into revealing sensitive personal information. The other plaintiffs include Elton John and Elizabeth Hurley.

The tabloid publisher has repeatedly denied any wrongdoing, insisting its journalists wrote their articles using legitimate sources. It also claims that the plaintiffs filed their lawsuits after the statute of limitations expired.

The case is one of several legal battles Harry has been facing since 2020, when he and Meghan Markle stepped back from their royal duties and left the UK.

Last January, Rupert Murdoch's News Group Newspapers acknowledged for the first time the wrongdoing of private investigators working for The Sun and offered the prince a "full and unreserved apology," paying him £10 million in compensation for phone hacking, surveillance, and misuse of personal information. A year earlier, Harry won a substantial settlement from Mirror Group Newspapers for phone hacking at the Daily Mirror.

Фото: Peter Nicholls/Getty ImagesDan Kitwood/Getty ImagesToby Melville - Pool/Getty ImagesMatt Dunham - WPA Pool/Getty Images)

More in the section Celebrity

Celebrity

Meghan Markle visited England for the first time in four years – in transit

Prince Harry's wife is staying in England before returning to the US this week.

Celebrity

"She Remade Herself." The internet is discussing the "new" face of former Victoria's Secret Angel Izabel Goulart.

41-year-old Izabel Goulart is suspected of having plastic surgery.

Celebrity

The name of Agata Muceniece and Petra Dranga's daughter, whom they are hiding from the public, has been revealed.

The name of Agata Muceniece and Petra Dranga's daughter, born in late 2025 and carefully kept secret from the public, has been revealed. The...

Celebrity

"We're together for life." Meghan Markle and Prince Harry celebrated their wedding anniversary.

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry celebrated their eighth wedding anniversary: ​​the Duchess of Sussex shared a video of the celebration on her...

Celebrity

Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt's daughter has publicly ignored her father again.

Brad Pitt's biological daughters Shiloh and Vivienne, as well as his adopted son Maddox, have previously renounced their surname.

Celebrity

Kim Kardashian is demanding one euro in compensation for the Paris robbery.

Kim Kardashian has decided not to seek compensation for the stolen jewelry from the criminals who robbed her.

Celebrity

The son of Mango's founder has been arrested on suspicion of murdering his father.

The son of Mango founder and billionaire Isak Andic, who died in the mountains in 2024 under mysterious circumstances, has been arrested in...

Celebrity

Kendall Jenner and Jacob Elordi were photographed on vacation in Hawaii.

The couple spent their vacation together on the island of Kauai.

Celebrity

Cristiano Ronaldo's fiancée Georgina Rodriguez has made a dramatic change to her look.

Georgina has been compared online to Kim Kardashian.

Celebrity

"He's proud." Sydney Sweeney's boyfriend's feelings about her nude pictorial have been revealed.

After the third season of Euphoria aired, Sweeney was criticized for showing too much of her naked body in the shots.

Celebrity

Meghan Markle visited England for the first time in four years – in transit

Celebrity

"She Remade Herself." The internet is discussing the "new" face of former Victoria's Secret Angel Izabel Goulart.

Celebrity

The name of Agata Muceniece and Petra Dranga's daughter, whom they are hiding from the public, has been revealed.

Celebrity

"We're together for life." Meghan Markle and Prince Harry celebrated their wedding anniversary.

Celebrity

Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt's daughter has publicly ignored her father again.

Celebrity

Kim Kardashian is demanding one euro in compensation for the Paris robbery.

Celebrity

The son of Mango's founder has been arrested on suspicion of murdering his father.

Celebrity

Kendall Jenner and Jacob Elordi were photographed on vacation in Hawaii.

Celebrity

Cristiano Ronaldo's fiancée Georgina Rodriguez has made a dramatic change to her look.

Celebrity

"He's proud." Sydney Sweeney's boyfriend's feelings about her nude pictorial have been revealed.

Celebrity

A Spanish court has acquitted Shakira of tax evasion and will now return €55 million to the singer.

Celebrity

Reese Witherspoon and Ryan Phillippe's son shared rare photos with his parents in honor of his graduation.

Celebrity

Prince Albert II and Princess Charlene attended the Monaco Grand Prix.

Celebrity

Cannes 2026: Bella Hadid hits the red carpet

Celebrity

Cannes 2026: Carla Bruni, Bella Hadid, Adriana Lima, and Cate Blanchett attended the premiere of the film "Garance"

Celebrity

Cannes 2026: Demi Moore in a "Barbie dress," a pregnant Barbara Palvin, and Cate Blanchett attended the premiere of "Paper Tiger."

Celebrity

"40 years old and still iconic." Megan Fox posted new photos on her birthday.

Celebrity

Cannes 2026: Cara Delevingne, Léa Seydoux, and Catherine Deneuve attend the premiere of "The Gentle Monster"

Celebrity

An "unrecognizable" 72-year-old John Travolta and his daughter attended the film's premiere in Cannes.

Celebrity

Jennifer Lopez stepped out in a fur coat and high heels